Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:22:17 -0500

Hi All--

Late last week I received a call from Carrabbas' corporate office. The call
was in response to the email I sent them asking for information re: how
Carrabbas handles cross contamination issues for celiacs. For those of you
who didn't catch my original post to the list, here's the background info: I
learned that the Carrabbas restaurant in Huntsville, AL cooks beef on one
portion of their grill, chicken on another portion of the grill, and fish on
yet another portion of the grill. According to their menu, celiacs need only
ask that the grill baste be omitted from the grill item ordered, giving the
impression that the baste is the only source of gluten for the grill items.

The manager of the Huntsville Carrabbas called me after the corporate office
received my email, which was passed on to the local restaurant to handle. I
asked the manager if food items meant to be cooked gluten free were cooked
on the same surface as non-gluten free food. His answer was yes. I told him
that that caused a cross contamination issue for celiacs. At this point, he
apologized and told me he would call the corporate office and call me back.

Fast forward to last week: Carrabbas' corporate office indicated to me that
they had never been faced with or considered the issue I presented to them -
one of cross contamination for celiacs. I have some trepidation to post our
entire conversation for fear that I will not relate information correctly,
so to avoid that issue, I told the person who called that I would simply
post to the list that she had called and that celiacs should check
Carrabbas' web site frequently for updates and new information for celiacs.

I would like to say that this person I spoke with was extremely
concerned that celiacs should be able to dine at Carrabbas worry free. The
steps she outlined to me seemed more than reasonable to ensure the
restaurant was doing all they could do to keep us safe. On the other hand,
we both agreed that celiacs will always have to be responsible for asking
the right questions and giving the restaurant staff any information
necessary to ensure our own safety, which might be something like, "please
do not use pasta water to steam or cook my vegetables." (I never considered
this myself and was appalled that this happens!)

So.....check Carrabbas' web site for new information. It was my impression
that what is on their corporate web site will be true for all Carrabbas
restaurants.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama