From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:22:16 -0400

Wow! There are a lot of tabbouli lovers out there.  Thank you everyone.
Here is a summary of the results.  Basically, there were 5 ideas for
substitutions.  Some experienced tabbouli makers also gave cooking hints
which I am passing on.

1. BROWN RICE: use already cooked and follow your usual recipe.
Comments:
My father was Syrian (born in Damascus)and I grew up on the stuff
(tabbouli).  When I experimented with the brown rice, he thought it was
fabulous!

For the Tabouli, use cooked and chilled brown rice.  If the grains are
too big, try chopping the uncooked rice in a blender to break it down
before cooking.

I make "tabouli" with brown rice.  I try to remember to cook it less
time and with less water so it's crunchy.  That is one of my favorite
dishes and I missed it a lot until I thought of the brown rice idea.

brown rice tastes great in such mixes! It is a Spanish idea, so a good
spanish tapas type cookbook has wonderful ideas for summer salads with
rice.

2. QUINOA

You might try Quinoa in place of bulgar. I have had it in a similar
salad and it was delicious. Like bulgar, it takes on the flavor of the
other ingredients.

How funny you should ask about tabouli, I am in the process of making
some at this moment and thought I would take a break and read my
messages!  I am making mine with Quinoa.  It is a gluten free grain that
comes from the andes.  Very crunchy wonderful tasting.  You make it like
rice, 1 cupQuinoa to 2 cups water for about 20 minutes.  Then
refrigerate for about 1 hour before making tabouli.  I just make the
recipe up.  What I did today is I made the Quinoa (1 cup).  Then in a
bowl I put about 4 Tbls. olive oil, juice of 2 lemons, about 1/3 cup
wheat free tamari (eden) and stir. Add chopped celery 3 stalks, 1 small
onion, 1 medium zucchini, about 1 cup chopped parsley, 3 carrots grated,
lots of santa barbara pitted large green olives in a can.  These do not
have vinegar or anything added.  you can also use black olives.  I am
doing the blood type diet and am not suppose to have black olives that
is why I use green ones.  And about 4 cloves garlic chopped.  Stir
Quinoa and veggies into sauce.  Refrigerate.  This is so tastey even
people who do not have to eat gluten free will love this. Quinoa is also
a complete protein.  Meaning it is like meat.  Contains all essential
amino acids which are protein.  Usually grains are missing a few and
that is why you need meat or eggs.  But Quinoa is a complete food.  You
can also make tabouli with rice but then again all we do is live on rice
so it is nice to use a different grain.  Bon Appetite!

3. One person suggested using pine nuts instead.

4. Kasha or buckwheat: this was suggested but some commented that kasha
tasted better hot than cold.

5. I had a note from Cecilia of Cecilia's Gluten Free Grocery saying, "I
use Authentic Foods' Falafel Mix.  It's quite tasty.  Makes good
meatballs and patties too."

Cecilia Vohl
Cecilia's Gluten-Free Grocery
Web site: http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (775) 827-0672
Fax: (775) 827-5850
Toll-Free (order-taking only): 1-800-491-2760

This mix can be ordered from her and from other mailorder sources.

There was one other kind person who emailed me a source for quinoa and
some cooking hints but I accidently deleted that message.  If you can
repost, I will pass it on or you can post to the list.

I use the recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food cookbook.
2-3 cooked gf grain of your choice
2 tomatoes, finely diced
1 bunch scallions chopped
1 cup (yes, 1 cup) finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried

Dressing
1/4 c lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tsp salt, optional
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper or to taste
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 ground cumin
dash allspice optional
dash coriander optional

combine ingredients and dressing ingredients separately. One hour before
serving add dressing to salad. Chill. Almost anyother fresh veggie to
your taste can be added. I like finely shredded red cabbage and chopped
cucumbers.  Add the cukes just before serving. Chunks of cheddar cheese
are good too. But not traditional.

Enjoy and thanks
Harlene