From:
"Michael W. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 1995 13:12:42 -0400

Bill Elkus asked me to post this while one of his ID is down for
maintenance.

On Wednesday, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Rice Dream ..... is GF.
>Almond Milk is _not_ GF.
>
>So says Nancy Armour, my wife and a celiac, who owns and
>operates Nancy's Natural Foods ......

As a listowner, I would like to echo Mike Jone's prior request that
anyone making a claim of a product being GF or not, please be very
specific about your sources and reasons.  We cannot really help each
other with naked claims (In reply to Jim Lyles' Roy did send in a later
post with more information, and I will reply to that in a moment...)

My prior research, which could be out-of-date by now, is that Rice Dream
is NOT gluten-free in any flavor (although the gluten levels are
probably low).  Also, my prior research supports Jim Lyles' posting
which indicated that the Vanilla flavor of Almond Mylk is GF but
the other flavor is not.  My earlier posting specifically addresses the
GF status of the brown rice syrup, which seems to be the main
questionable ingredient. Copies of my previous postings are at the
end of this post.

Roy also said on Thursday, in reply to Jim Lyles:

>Since the letter from Wholesome & Hearty Foods
>does not identify the basis for their brown rice syrup,
>natural vanilla, or lecithin ingredients, isn't it
>prudent to consider Vanilla AlmondMylk NOT GF
>until Wholesome & Hearty Foods divulges this information?
>Nancy received a telephone response similar to this
>letter, but could not be assured that the basis for these
> ingredients would always remain GF (because of supplier
>/production issues). As a result, Nancy's Natural Foods does
>not promote this product as being GF -- the health risk is
>too great.

Speaking only for myself, I am uncomfortable with two aspects of Roy's
position:

a)  It sounds too harsh to proclaim every product "not GF" until proven
otherwise.  If a person really means "I am not sure about the GF status of a
product because it has a questionable ingredient which needs to be further
researched" then I would suggest that you simply call that product
"questionable".  If one says flatly that a product is "not GF" it tends to
imply to others that the research has been done and there is definitely a
problem.  The discussion of a different product two days ago was complicated
by just such an assertion.

b)  I think it is impractical to demand a statement from a food manufacturer
that they will never in the future change any ingredient in a manner that may
compromise the GF status of a product.  "Never" is a long time!  Even if a
company would agree to such a demand, I wouldn't take their promise at face
value.  Market needs change.  The prices of alternative ingredients change.
Its critical that each time I buy something for my Celiac son, I re-check the
ingredient list.  Periodically, I recheck hidden gluten items like barley
enzymes by calling back the company.

Bill Elkus

------copy of prior Rice Dream post -----

 Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:18:56 GMT

     [To get a copy of the file containing this post, send an e-mail]
     [message to [log in to unmask] containing the      ]
     [following line:                                               ]
     [       GET CELIAC LOG9411                                     ]
     [Or visit <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html>  ]
     [and click on "November 1994"      -the listowners, 11 May 1999]

----copy of prior Almond Mylk post --------

 Date:         Fri, 19 May 1995 15:31:56 GMT

     [To get a copy of the file containing this post, send an e-mail]
     [message to [log in to unmask] containing the      ]
     [following line:                                               ]
     [       GET CELIAC LOG9505                                     ]
     [Or visit <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html>  ]
     [and click on "May 1995"           -the listowners, 11 May 1999]