From:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:15:23 -0500

I received the follow two response to my query.

I eat regularly at Pod (corner of Sansom and 37th sts). You just tell the server that you
need things prepared gluten free. They are all familiar with the diet. Many things can be
done GF including the pad thai and there kaisecki express (sp?) meals. I don't do sushi
myself, so do not know if anything on their sushi menu is GF,but you can ask about that.
They have GF soy/tamari sauce that they use to make the GF dishes. I have also eaten a
white dog cafe on Sansom between 34th and 36th sts. You just tell the server there as
well and they will check with the chef, etc. Again they are very accomodating and can
generally prepare most of the dishes GF either by leaving out a sauce, or changing sides,
etc. Pod is asian fusion and sushi and White dog is sort of upscale american comfort food.
Both of these are on the expensive side although not outrageous. I have also eaten at
Marathon grill (I bring my own salad dressing packets) on Walnut at 40th st.. They have
great salads. I usually stick with salads or burgers there. I have also eaten their fries
without a problem.
there is another place called RX which I have not eaten at, only heard about. But
supposedly they advertise that they can handle special diets. (You'll have to look for that
one on the internet, don't know he location.) There are also fruit trucks around campus
from which I get fruit salad quite often. That is all the do (fresh fruit) so it is defintely
safe. I have not tried any of the other trucks. I prefer the one on Spruce near 37th st.
Also WAWA on SPruce near 38th st. has packaged salads, fruit, etc. that label any
allergens. Finally, there's a fresh grocer market across from marathon grill. They carry
some gf products (Annie's salad dressings, forzen dinners, snacks, etc.)

And...

My wife (who is Celiac) and I have eaten at the White Dog Cafe a number of times with
no problem.. Just let them know ahead of time.
Regards,
Ted