From:
"Dr. Andrew Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 12:56:31 -0500

Amanda L. Lester wrote:
> However, I have had a reaction
> to something, and I was wondering if it could be this milk. Has
> anyone else out there tried this product and found it to be a
> problem? I know it could be something else that has sneaked past my
> guard (I have been taking Actifed allergy medications the last week
> or so and I have not checked on their gluten status).

Actifed is definitely NOT gluten free!  I just got bitten on the butt by
this piece of news about three weeks ago.  One of the inactive
ingredients is wheat.  Also, this product is listed on the 1984 study on
gluten content in medication (I lost the URL) as not GF.

After much ingredient reading, I discovered that Sudafed tablets don't
list any active or inactive ingredients which contain gluten (except
perhaps "pharmaceutical glaze").  This doesn't contain the same strenght
of pseudoepinephrine (30 mg instead of 60 mg), nor does it contain
Actifed's second active ingredient (Triprolidine).  However, it seems to
do the trick for my sinuses.

Your best bet, however, is to get some specially formulated tablets with
GF inactive ingredients from a pharmacist.
Andrew