From:
"Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura B.
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:17:53 -0500

Hi Everyone

Has anyone ever heard of vomiting from sugar (any kind of simple sugar)?

My child has celiac and his blood tests are always clean since he's been diagnosed.  About a year after he was diagnosed with Celiac, he started having similar symptoms and it took awhile to pinpoint what was causing it.  It is simple sugars.  For example, when he has a drink with sugar in it and a dessert (both totaling more than 25 total grams) - about 30-60 minutes later, he turns very pale and then vomits.  Sometimes it is accompanied by a headache.  We've seen a pediatrician,  neurologist, GI and Endocrinologist.  We know already that it is not diabetes or hypoglycemia.  All the doctors so far have come up with nothing.

After he vomits he is generally better.

If he eats sugar on an empty stomach - this same thing happens with even less sugar.

If we keep his simple sugars very low he seems fine.  He is affected by all sugars - fructose, glucose, dextrose, etc...  If he has a treat with artificial sweeteners - he is fine.  He tolerates carbs with no problems.

Thanks!
Laura