From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:46:44 -0400

There's a fantastic relatively new book called Fat Flush by Anne Louise
Gittleman.  No funny science, just a strange name:)  It's generally a
carb restricted, very gf diet friendly book.  The first two weeks there
are no starches, just two low glycemic index fruits per day, 8 ounces
protein, lots of veggies, no oil or salt except for 2 tbsp flax oil and
borage oil capsules, and specific thermogenic or diuretic spices
(cayenne, dill, fennel, ginger, garlic, onion, chives, parsley) You
drink unsweeted cranberry juice mixed with water to encourage cleansing,
as well as taking some liver supportive herbs (not controversial ones,
very gentle ones with documented, well researched benefits).  It's book
of solid science.  Most of it I was familiar with already, having read
pretty much all of the nutrition/diet stuff available.  This is a really
good one.  Not just weight loss and healthy eating, but truly building a
healthy body from the inside out.

I went to get the book in Atlanta and couldn't find it at 4 bookstores
(two b&N, two Borders) because it's so popular.  The woman at borders
said it was their top selling diet book b/c it was on Good Day Atlanta.

I came across it through my sister, who found out about it on
iVillage.com   I went to michigan to see my family. My sister, who was
only carrying about 15 extra, looked *phenominal*.  skin was absolutely
creamy and glowing.  better than I've ever seen it.  Asked what she was
doing and this was it.  She said she was sleeping better than *ever* in
her whole life, tons of energy (after the lows of the first few
cleansing days)....etc etc

Gittleman discusses Celiac (though doesn't mention it by name) and
quotes the 1 in 250 figure with references......thinks that it's a good
idea for even 'normal' (non-celiacs) to forever avoid wheat, though
after the first two weeks she does reintro spelt or sprouted wheat (for
non-celiacs) - but cautions to watch carefully for any negative reaction
to any reintroduced food.

I love the seriousness with which she attends to the whole concept that
what might be okay for one person, might be detrimental to another.

It's a fantastic, solid book.  Both my husband and I are on day three.
My mom and my sister are well into it now and look and feel incredible.

you can check out sample menu's, outlines of the plan etc at
www.ivillage.com  Click on boards, then click on Fat Flush or All New
Fat Flush (can't remember which:))  Anne Louise herself (a nutritionist
trained at Columbia) is on the iVillage board daily to answer questions.

:)
katherine in atl