From:
Monica Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:02:49 EST

   These are only a few of the replies regarding improvements in
menstruation.Going GF definitely can cause improvements in that area of
health as well.I'm sorry this summary has taken so long. I did want to point
out that although all these replies are positive, a few had thought that
early perimenopause was very possible and normal(not that that is negative in
any way). a big factor in most of the replies was that gaining weight after
going GF helps with regulation of hormones and I have gained a lot in the
past couple of months after being scary skinny.One woman had added
progesterone, as I've also done, and one woman started having regular periods
but there is still a concern as to wether ovulation is happening.Also two
others have had problems with dairy and hot flashes:

I'm 39 and I definitely have noticed in the past 2 years a huge difference in
my periods for the better.  I was amazed to find that I am actually more
regular now than ever before.

The first thought that comes to my mind is that your food absorption is
better so your body is working better.

Yes, my system did change.  Although I haven't been officially diagnosed
(blood work came out iffy and genetics got messed up...don't want to do
biopsy, have 1st degree relative whose Celiac), I have been gf for about 7
months.  I, too, was having weird periods, scant, but lots of moodiness that
just didn't seem like me.  Since going gf I have gone back to a normal 28-30
day cycle, normal flow.

In the years before my celiac was discovered my period was very
irregular.  Since going gluten-free I've had very regular periods --
they're practically normal!  My feeling (and my nutritionist agrees) is
that the irregular periods were caused by nutritional deficiencies while
eating wheat.

I started having similar trouble in my late 30's (am 43 now) and did notice
some improvement after getting good at GF, lactose-free living, but wonder if
the improvement is due to less stress -- both physical and emotional -- since
I'm not so darned sick anymore.

After not having periods (other than maybe once a year ) for 7-10 years,
after being gluten free, I startedo having regular periods for 7 months.
They stopped, but my thyroid also messed up.

The largest difference that I noticed after going gluten-free over 20 years
ago was that I no longer experienced the copious amounts of mucous that I
would have with each period.

I also noticed that if I would inadvertently ingest gluten, that would
coincide with a return of the mucous with my next period, although it was
never as bad as before going on the diet.

I also had more normal periods after going gf, but I was doing other
things for my health too. I just figured it was because my health was
improving. I might have also gained a little weight too (I am
underweight).

 I was diagnosed with Celiac in October of 2001.  I have been GF ever since.
I experienced alot of different symptoms such as, chronic fatigue, diarrhea,
nausea, headaches, bloating, gas and irregularity.  Also, I experienced
irregular periods and hot flashes as well.  However, I started using a
progesterone cream in August 2002 and my periods are alot lighter and not as
long and I am not experiencing any hot flashes anymore. I have learned that
PMS Progesterone and estrogen levels rise and fall naturally during the
menstrual cycle.  Therefore, if progesterone is too low or estrogen is too
high, a woman will experience symptoms such as migraines, cramping, water
retention, breast soreness, hot flashes and mood swings.   Not only I am I
using the  progesterone cream, I changed to a liquid vitamin as well which
has helped with getting the proper absorption of vitamins my body needs.  I
have been on the products since August

hot flashes and changes in periods are also signs of thyroid disease.  Were
you very underweight before you went GF?  That could account for your scanty
periods.

Now that I have been Gluten free for most of a year my periods are
"regular."  I can actually look at a calendar and "guess" when my next
period will be.  There was a long time where I was clueless.  I went as many
as 10 weeks between periods... and they HURT!

When I was about 34, I started having night sweats (with low grade fever)
and painful heavy periods with clots, diarrhea, and painful intercourse.
More than one doctor told me the night sweats were menopausal, and that it
was happening because I was too thin and because I smoked.  A few doctors
said the change in my periods could be endometriosis. Most recently, I was
told it was fibroid tumours - that's why my belly was so swollen. The
painful sex - I was told to relax. Turns out, it all went back to normal
when I went GF. And, when I accidentally ingest gluten, the symptoms return,
even the night sweats. My theory is this: My inflamed and swollen intestines
were causing physical irritation to my reproductive organs. It's so simple.

A lot of things are not normal when you are malnourished, which is what we
are before diagnosis. People who are malnourished don't have regular
periods. They also don't grow normally and have learning disabilities, which
many celiacs have testified to. My periods became more normal as well after
a gf diet.

I am 46 and have been through the change for about 4 years now with it
starting about 6 years ago..   I have no periods at all now... I think I
went through an early change due to celiac.  I kept having hot flashes
even after they said I should not have them... quit the milk to and they
have stopped.   Thought I was just lactose intolerant but guess it was a
true Milk allergy.  Any way I did have a positive reaction at the
allergist to milk.   By the way milk products have prostegladins in them
which can be used for birth control (not milk but the prostegladins) and
I think that probably messes with the periods and womens hormones.