From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:08:30 -0800

1.  I went to one of the local trader Joe's after hearing the members of our
local San Diego support group go on about it so.  Like some of the later posters
on this subject, I found it disappointing compared to the other specialty stores
where we shop for Celiac foods.  I found Whole Foods, Henry's (formerly Boney's)
and a local people's food co-op MUCH better.  There seemed to be almost no GF
entries.

2.  We had Bette Hagman speak to our group last year.  She is probably as
attuned to Celiac and its dietary restrictions as anyone in the USA.  Her
opening remark was "Beware of the gluten Nazis."  That is, those who would
overkill any minute aspect or fear of eating in the USA.  The example she
used is that as a (if the THE) Celiac food preparing professional in America
she is certainly aware of what goes into food in this country.  She declares
that one would have to go far and wide to find maltodextrin that is not made
from corn in the U.S.  It is essentially impossible these days.  Maltodextrin
made overseas, perhaps yes.  But the number of people running around not
eating things and causing grief and concern over maltodextrin is 99.9%
unwarranted when we have more than enough legitimate concerns in our diets.

Jere Cordell in So. Cal.