From:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:03:10 -0800

Hi!  My boyfriend has been gluten free for over 5 and 1/2 years.  He does not have celiac disease but has been gf with me since the date of my diagnosis.  I am very lucky - he is wonderful.  However, now he has been diagnosed himself with gout and put on a low purine diet - 5 oz. of meat (beef, poultry, seafood), peas, asparagus, etc. in total per day.  Of course, I'm doing the same diet as him.

  His family is now questioning the possiblity of his gf diet attributing to his gout.  Is the gf diet higher in purines such as bakers and/or brewers yeast?  Can a gf diet somehow change the body's ability to breakdown these purines?

  Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!  Samantha