From:
Holly Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:33:27 EST

Well, IM not so confused anymore. I spoke with Dr. Fine again and he said

           "I should have put the results in different wording.

Many people are looking for DQ2 and only DQ2 when they interpret their gene
tests.

we now know that several others including Taylor's gene type can cause
gluten sensitivity and celiac disease.  This is really a moot point
because she has malabsorption and needs a 100% gluten free diet for
optimal health.  Ultimately, the treatment is in the patient's and or
parents hands.

I also received a very informative email from a very nice lady.
"Congratulations on getting the tests done, before your daughter had
full blown celiac disease.  I am also one of those who does produce the
antigliadin antibodies, but I do not have celiac disease.  Dr. Fine gave
a presentation to the San Antonio Celiac Support group.  He used heart
disease as an analogy.  He said being gluten sensitive, is like having
50% clogged arteries with a history of heart disease in the family.
Being diagnosed with celiac is like the heart attack.  The damage is
already there and your body is in crisis.  So good for you.  You saved
your child from the "heart attack" stage in her intestines.  It can take
more than a year to fully heal the intestines, so she is still going to
be sensitive to other foods besides wheat, barley, rye and oats.

I have found (since being tested last June) that too much sugar, caffeine,
and foods that are too rich in fats (like buttered toast) sometimes bother me
and I know I'm gluten free so its not that.  So give it time, and count your
blessings that your daughter will have healthy intestines thanks to you.  You
are a wonderful mother to do so much for your child."

 I think I will start a journal of what she eats because I think its when she
gets high fat this last episode was a few hours after grits with butter and
cheese in them(YUMMY). she also doesn't take any enzymes I have been thinking
of getting her on some.

One said to have her pancreas checked and asked if she had the tTG blood test
done and yes she did it was negative. She has been tested for fat in the
stool and it is negative.

My husband And I talked for a long time last night and we agreed she
obviously has something going on with all the symptoms she gets when eating
gluten and with the positive malabsoption, that really has to be enough for
us to be comfortable with her diagnosis and continue the diet. when she is
ingesting gluten on a regular basis she is out of control and a different
child all together, that really has to say it all. Tests or no tests she
thrives on the diet. I don't eat any gluten, not because IM celiac but
because I eat mostly whole foods I am very healthy and in really good shape
so as for her missing out on anything I think I am happy its going to be JUNK
FOOD!!

thanks to all who listened through the last few months.

Dr. Fine was very helpful and answered all my emails I would recommend his
tests to anyone who was in the same situation as we were. I don't have any
connection with Dr. Fine I am just grateful he could provide some answers.
Holly