From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:29:22 EST

I have started reading "Against the Grain" by Jax Lowell (no
connections....just one really great book).  In the introduction, a GI states:

"One possible cause (of CD)  is infection with common agents such as viruses.
At least one virus has been shown to possess a similar protein composition to
toxic fractions of gluten.  Theoretically, infection with this virus exposes
the immune system to an antigen that is "shared" with the intestinal
epithelium, or lining.  Long after the virus has disappeared, the immune
system continues to attack the body's own tissue, wich produces celiac
disease."

Does anyone know more about "this" virus--which virus it is, and if it can be
more than one. Please let me know if you do--it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Saskia Smith