From:
Cindy Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:39:43 -0500

Background:  My celiac daughter will live in an apartment in Hong Kong for 8 weeks and then we will travel to Beijing, China for one week.

I received only a few responses and none travelled there recently.  Most information that I found by reviewing the links below said that it is difficult being GF in Hong Kong and it is best to eat at the western-style restaurants.

Here are the suggestions:

Dining cards are available in Cantonese (Hong Kong) and Mandarin (Beijing) at www.celiactravel.com.  This site also had some input from travelers to China in their Celiac Travel Stories section.

One person lived in Hong Kong for several years before she was diagnosed and felt the supermarket chains would carry GF items.  Here are links to a few of them:

1. Park 'n Shop (carries GF pasta) http://www1.parknshop.com/WebShop/ProductSelectFrame.do?content=21220_Organ_2&type=Product

2. Wellcome www.wellcome.com.hk/en/products_category.html

3. Various western style supermarkets http://www.greatfoodhall.com/index.htm, http://www.citysuper.com.hk/, http://www.oliversthedeli.com.hk/

Here are some discussions about being GF in Hong Kong http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/115/thread99191.html and a GF social group in Hong Kong that might have additional information http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/groups/491/

This is a link to a blog of someone who lives in China and is gluten free http://www.simplygf.com.

I’ll write a summary of my daughter’s food experiences when she gets back in mid-March.

Cindy in Massachusetts