From:
JSchroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:41:27 -0700

Well, bad news for Celiacs here.

I wrote originally asking about getting health insurance privately
between now and getting married in October.  I received many responses
which I will summarize below but first I will tell you the bad news.  It
seems that it is nearly impossible to get health insurance if you have a
pre-existing condition and if you do get it, it could be extremely
expensive (we found one that was 5000 a month) and most likely not cover
any pre-existing conditions.  This happened to my brother-in-law who has
severe asthma.  No one would cover his nebulizer or doctor visits
regarding this.  It was a nightmare.  He married a girl who is a flight
attendant, however, and now he has great coverage.

I am very lucky, in one way, because I was never diagnosed with CD.  I
didn't have the biopsy, so I only have "Gluten Sensitivity" as far as
any doctor will say.  Fortunately I think this is such a minor diagnosis
they will give me the temporary insurance.  In California they aren't
allowed to ask about mental disorders so I don't have to say anything
about the OCD I have.  I felt a little dishonest saying I don't have any
"auto immune disorders" but we have to do what we must do in this
greed-centered world.

If they don't accept me, I will go through with Plan B, which is to go
down to the city hall here and get married 6 weeks before our wedding.
It is worth it to me.

Here are my responses which may be helpful to some of you:
**********************
contact the State Insurance Commissioner in your state.  Worth a try.
****
Are you sure that it is your medical conditions that are keeping you
from getting insurance. I'm am very sure that it is currently against
the law for health insurance agencies to discriminate due to medical
conditions. Perhaps the insurance peoples are hesitant to just give you
insurance for "just" two months.

(By the way, yes it is the medical conditions.  They say flat out they
won't cover you if you've had a heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc on
most of these plans.  It is illegal, however in the state of CA to not
give insurance because of certain mental conitions such as OCD)
*************
If you have insurance still, that will be running out, and have a nice
doctor, sometimes they can do things like double your prescription, so
you can stockpile your medication until your new insurance kicks in.
My GI offered this for October, when I am moving across the country.  I
don't know if your psychiatrist will offer this for the OCD- mine
didn't mention that option for my antidepressants.  But it might be
worth a shot, just to get you thorough!
***************
My Blue Cross Blue Shield Cobra insurance was disolved and I then
applied for private insurance through Blue Cross.  They put a rider on
any exams/medication involving Celiac disease.  I have another disease
that involves the same exams as Celiac.  I was diagnosed with the other
disease first.  When my annual exam was done I fought the insurance for
9 months to pay for the exam.  They paid for part of it, but not all.
I know if I ever change insurance companies I'll have to pay for
everything.  It's extreemly frustrating, you need the exams, medication
and would have worse problems without them.  However, they won't cover
you over your medical needs.

My other disease if not treated will 100% turn to cancer.  I've gotten
it treated and with exams it is under control.  However my life
insurance company (which I bought from my brother who is still my
agent), will not allow me to buy any new policies because of my disease.
There's a whole lot of double talk in the insurance business.  I've
certainly let my brother hear about it.
***************
We also needed to get health ins.on our own for a while and believe me,
it seems to me that you can't get celiac covered, we tried a bunch of
ins.  companies and they all said they would cover our son, just not
anything related to celiac.  Luckily now, myhusband is working for a
company with group health ins.  so he is totally covered!
**************
Hi
I have CD, DH, and OCD and my insurance is with Prudential
Healthcare HMO.  Through them I go to Sharp Rees Stealy
Medical Plan of California, Inc. and have never had a problem.
Have youtried an HMO.  I know lots of people have problems with them and
not all HMo's are created equal.  But, HMO's do not have preexisting
condition clauses.  You may want to look into this.
I don't know what state you live in but I do know that some states you
can not be rejected for most illnesses.  Especially Celiac.  I live in
Arizona and got health insurance but have to pay a slightly higher
premium.  You might check with your state regulations on this.