From:
Faye Macbeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Macbeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:23:48 -0800
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Thanks so very much to all of you who responded with such helpful
information. Since so many of you wanted a summary because you suffer
with the same problem, I decided to send all the messages as I got them,
so that nothing was left out that might help someone. So there will be
three parts with lots of info. I haven't been to the store to purchase
any of the items suggested, but have tried the baking soda, and it did
work, as did Sleepy time Celestial Tea with honey. My chore now is to
find what is causing the problem and that I am not looking forward to.
Good luck to all, and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. Faye

************
If you are not using them all of the time, it will not hurt you to use them
sometimes
**
I don't have a solution for you but my daughter has severe GERD for
which
she is currently over-medicated....a 2nd ph probe is scheduled on her
Christmas break....she may have a weak cardiac
sphincture...anyway...the GI
said water is actually the worst thing....the thinner the liquid the
more it
comes back up.....just a a suggestion..Kathy
**
I don't have a remedy suggesting.

My bit is to mention that it maybe time to quit another food group.

I say this because I went through that in my late teens and into my
twenties.  I had lots of tests, being in the military at the time.
They
sent me on my way with large amounts of Mylanta and pills to take
before and
after I ate.

I quit eating, then I added most foods but no dairy and meats.  I got
better
and thinner.

Years later during my first pregnancy I got it back, I ate lots of
popcorn
and corn chips, found out later I am allergic to corn.

Well now I've been diagnosed with the wheat/gluten and
corn/dairy/beef/coconut/chocolate/horseradish/apples, always knew about
the
food dyes.  I learned all this through 2 years of testing and learning
it
wasn't a mental problem like others suggested, but actual physical
reactions
brought on by foods and chemicals.

Staying away from these is simple when you don't buy processed foods.
I do
get high fructose corn syrup in my life but that's easier for me to
digest
than corn or popcorn which I haven't touched since I learned from the
doctor
and from my eating it, one Thanksgiving.
**
Marshamallow root capsules. At health food stores.
Check with manufacturer as to GF status
**
please summarize, I have wanted to stop taking  antacids for a long
time but didn't know any natural remedies
**
Hi - I was pretty certain that TUMS were gluten-free.  If you hear from
others that they're not, hope you'll post the reply
**
PLEASE try the supplment "nighttime heartburn support". If you cannot
find
it just find the herb slippery elm. It is amazing. It is a muciligenic.
It
coats and protects. I had hideous reflux with my 4th child and this
saved my
life. I used both above with success. Then my baby had very extreme
reflux,
and was on so many meds not helping, I switched to slippery elm (it's
used
as a gruel for babies in other countries). It was a miracle! Totally
safe,
no side effects, and stopped the pain cold! Just follow instructions on
the
bottle. Let me know how this helps
**
my doctor suggests Pepsid AC,  works great for me and GF.

**

There has been several articles about the use of Orange Peel Extract to
help with heartburn. It is recommended to takes a capsule with 1000 mg
of orange peel extract to treat heartburn, acid indigestion and upset
stomach. I have been using in for several weeks and find that it really
works for me.

**

There is a natural remedy for acid called Acidease by Prevail. I use it
when my tummy burns or hurts from acid upset. I am thinking it might
also help your throat burn. It is made from herbs and enzymes and I've
never had any side effects. Also check out homeopathic remedies at your
local health store, they usually have a remedy for everything. I believe
for heartburn of the throat it is Arsenicum alb. There are also herbs
and herbal teas that might help, anything soothing or calming like
chamomile, peppermint, anise, fennel, slippery elm, marshmallow,
meadowsweet. My herbal book also says to eat FRESH pineapple after
meals-it has a great digestive enzyme.

**
Please summarize.  I have the throat pain too.
**
If you have the burn all the way up into your throat, you have reflux,
even
if it is occasional.  I find a liquid antacid works best to counteract
the
acid in my throat, esophagus, and stomach

** A little baking soda in water will work to neutralize the acid. **
Don't know of this is a factor or not, but I found out that I cannot
tolerate milk, which caused a numbner of reactions, some of which were a
sore throat, sinus problems and gastro discomfort. If you drink milk,
experiment and see if you react to milk