From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:14:55 -0700

I've been getting a number of requests for my gluten free Teriyaki
substitute.  Here is a copy of the sauce recipes I've created to take the
place of soy and/or Teriyaki sauce.

I discovered that molasses and salt tastes a lot like soy sauce.  (To me at
least)  I've built a number of sauces around a core of ingredients.
Basically I use variations containing varying amounts of balsamic vinegar,
dark unsulfered molasses, fruits, turbanado (raw) sugar and sea salt.

Here are a few of my recipes.

Sweet and sour sauce.
16 oz Pureed Strawberries (or other pureed fruit - fresh or canned)
1 cup turbanado (raw) sugar
For a sweeter taste add a can of frozen condensed fruit juice syrup.  I like
using Bacardi's strawberry frozen margarita concentrate, but any frozen
strawberry concentrate will work.

8-16 ounces of sweet bell pepper - chopped
1 tsp fresh chopped garlic (or GF powdered substitute)
1 tsp salt
4 oz molasses

Combine all ingredients, pour over chicken, beef, or pork.  Cook for 2 hours
at 340 degrees.  I sometimes add fresh strawberries to the dish an hour
before cooking is finished.

Alternative soy sauce
8 oz molasses, 3oz balsamic vinegar, sugar to taste.

Teriyaki sauce
Add pureed pineapple (or strawberries) to the above

Bar-B-Que sauce
16 oz stewed tomatoes pureed
16 oz molasses
6 oz balsamic vinegar
tsp fresh crushed black pepper
table spoon crushed garlic
16 oz canned peaches - pureed
sweet red peppers to taste
1 cup turbanado (raw) sugar
1 cup green onions

Combine all ingredients in large pot and cook for about an hour.  If you
want a thicker sauce you can add a tablespoon of corn starch, or cook the
entire mixture at a slow boil (stirring frequently) until it reduces to the
consistency you desire.