From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:44:21 -0700

Citric Acid additives can now be added to the questionable list when it comes
to gluten content.  I have found a website (see bottom of message) which
talks about the Citric Acid market.  There are three domestic producers of
citric acid, according to the article, by Cheryl Cullinan Lewis:  Archer
Daniels Midland, Carigill, and Haarman & Reimer.  "All three produce citric
acid through the fermentation of corn-based dextrose"; however, "the acid can
also be derived from other sources of dextrose, including cane sugar and
WHEAT."  There are "a number of countries which also supply citric acid to
the domestic market:  Belgium, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, and
Switzerland," according to this article.  So there is no guaranteeing what
source is used to make the citric acid in the products we buy--we can't even
be sure it was manufactured in the United States without calling the
manufacturer--who may be reluctant to give out their source.

Also, I would like to point out, that just because the article states that
these U.S.  companies are deriving them from corn based dextrose, does not
necessarily mean that they do not use a gluten grain during processing.  This
would need to be looked into by someone who is interested in continuing to
eat products containing citric acid.  I will no longer be eating or using any
products containing citric acid at all, just to be safe.

I have had reactions to citric acid for years.  It causes my skin to break
out in eczema.  However, I had hoped it was safe in small amounts.

When I use shampoos containing citric acid, I develop crusty sores on my
head.  (I have beening using for about two years now "Vidal Sassoon Shampoo
type A" one of the few shampoos on the market which does not contain citric
acid--and the sores cleared up after a few months.)

When I took Seseme Street Complete Vitamins (which contain citric acid) for
about a month, my lips started getting a crusty peeling on them and I broke
out in eczema on my hands--so I have switched to Freeda Vitamins, and I have
noticed a definite improvement.  My lips have stopped peeling and my hands
are clearing up.

I get diarrhea when I use V8 juice in hot dishes.  I had wondered why.  It
contains citric acid also.

It may be difficult to track down the source of citric acid in the various
products we buy.  It may also be difficult to obtain information on whether
the manufacturer is using any gluten grain at all during processing.  They
often prefer to state what something is primarily derived from rather than
explaining the whole process and revealing all ingredients.  Also, some
companies may claim that they don't have the right to reveal that information
since they purchase the product from someone else who owns the rights to that
information.

Also, I must mention that for some people, they could be reacting to corn
based products.  There are some Celiacs which also have an intolerance to
corn.  These individuals might want to consider removing all citric acid from
their diets if they have been symptomatic, since the article states that
citric acid is usually derived from corn.

All these years I assumed it was derived from citrus fruit--so I thought it
was safe.  These types of assumptions can get us into trouble.

Should you choose to remove citric acid from your diet, read your labels
carefully.  Many tomato sauces and tomato juices contain citric acid.  Many
children's drinks contain it.  Most soft drinks contain citric acid.  Diet
A&W Root Beer is the only soda I have found thus far which does not contain
citric acid.  Some gluten free candies contain citric acid.  Removing citric
acid will be quite a challenge, but well worth a trial if you have been
symptomatic and would like to see if you show improvement after removing it
from you diet.

If anyone out there chooses to remove citric acid from their diet, please
report back to the list about any improvements in your condition that you
might attribute to this diet change.  Thanks for listening.

The website I mentioned is located at:

http://www.manufacturing.net/magazine/purchasing/archives/1997/pur0605.97
                                                               /061chem2.htm

---
Abigail
St Paul, Minnesota

"To be nobody but myself in a world which is doing its best night and day to
make me everybody else, is to fight the hardest battle which any human being
can fight and never stop fighting."   e e cummings