From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 13:27:40 -0600

My name is Joe Murray and for those that dont know me.  I am a
gastroenterologist at the University of Iowa.  I was brought up in the
west if Ireland and have been exposed to friends neighbours and more
recently patients with celiac disease.  We have a dedicated
multidisciplinary service for the clinical care of people with celiac
disease, which also is involved with clinical research and medical
education related to this condition and dermatitis herpetiformis.  Our
particular interests are in application of serologic tests, atypical
presentation and refractory disease.
        I Look forward to gleening information for my patients from the
conference as well as an intellectual interchange of ideas. I will
attempt to participate in clinical discussions as my time permits but
will not be able address any individual patient questions due to
professional and ethical limitations.
        After that long introduction my question/reply is this:
What are the plant toxonomy differences or characteristics that
differenciate one grass from another.  Do these characteristics always
imply a different phylogenetic origin for these plant species.  For
example buckwheat is not classified as a grass but it sure looks like
wheat and tastes like wheat (sort of) and mills like wheat and well you
get the idea. Can we depend on the taxonomy as it stands to distinquish
the 2 plants as regards the nature of their storage proteins?
Joe Murray