From:
Mary Garrard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Garrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:15:06 -0700

I travelled from Portland Oregon to San Luis Obispo on
Amtrak, just one overnight. We were on a budget so we
took all of our food. We had a small cooler. (I think
we added ice we got from the snack bar when ours
melted.) It worked very well. We grabbed corner seats
in the observation car, set up our travelling diner,
and ate great picnic food watching the scenery go by.

One tip for Amtrak: the drinking water comes from
onboard tanks that I suspect rarely get sanitized. The
water tasted terrible. I ended up having to buy
drinking water. Next time, I would bring my small
portable filter that I use backpacking, or a brita
type pitcher to clean up the water.

Mary