From:
"Lorry B. Getz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:21:12 -0700

HI,

I am hoping you moms of celiacs can help me out here.  I have a 2 year
old celiac son.  I have been putting off researching preschools largely
because I have this fear that the preschool staff will inadvertently
give him gluten containing foods...after all, they have other children
to look after and this is not as common as say milk/peanut
allergies...plus preschool children often receive snacks and have
birthday parties often throughout the year...I realize I can send my own
snack with my child to ascertain that he will receive the appropriate
foods...but I'm concerned how he will feel, not having the same foods as
his class mates.  One problem we are having now is our son is now
noticing that his big sister is eating some foods he is not allowed to
have and he gets upset by this...will this carry over to the preschool
setting where he sees that his classmates eat different food than his?
(he will know, even if I make a GF variety of the regular gluten item)

Can anyone give me tips/advice on how to quell my fears/concerns of
sending my child off to a school where I will not be able to make sure
he remains on a GF diet?  I really do need to get my son signed up at a
preschool if he is to go next fall...

My other concern is...related to potty training...how do you work with a
celiac child who is  more prone to diahrrea than the non celiac child?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated and I'd be happy to
summarize...

Thanks in advance,
Robin in Colorado, USA