From:
Reuben Bonerath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:37:43 -0400

I received seventeen replies.

The shortest response turned out to be the most interesting. It was:

"Check out this site..."
www.scdiet.com

I bought the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". I have not yet read it from
cover to cover. However, it is a fascinating book. The diet that the book
proposes is excellent for both Celiac Disease and hypoglycemia!

Eleven people replied that they also had or thought they had hypoglycemia
or they experienced the same symptoms.

Two people indicated that high blood sugar produce the same symptoms and
advised me to once again be tested for diabetes.

Four people referred me to documents such as:

- The Low Blood Sugar Handbook from Franklin Publishers, P.O. Box 1338,
Bryn Mawr,PA 19010.

- www.scdiet.com

- www.paleodiet.com
  www.neanderthin.com

- "Check Candida Albicans (Yahoo Search is OK)"

I was also provided with explanations and dietary advice such as:

" ... I think, and CD is at the base of it.  It causes a lack of digestion of
sugars, so you don't always get them into you in the first place.  But far
more importantly, it causes food allergies, which if left in place, cause
your cortisol levels to rise all the time, instead of just when needed.
That in turn causes an upset in balance of ALL your hormones, including the
insulin and glucagons and others, that balance your blood sugar. ..."

"Are you getting enough complex carbohydrates, or are most of your starches
also high in sugar, even natural sugar?  A spoonful of something nutritious
but high fat, like peanut butter (almond, cashew, sesame) might take awhile
to digest and ease the symptoms."

"I now have three balanced meals a day with one snack in between, to keep
my blood sugar on an even keel. They say you should have about 6 small
meals a day rather than 3 large ones to get your system evenly balanced.
You should never skip any meals."

"L-Glutamine 500 mg (I buy the product put out by Solgar or Cambridge)
seems to help heal the gut faster than anything I tried before"

" If you think you may have hypoglycemia, you may want to try the
following: In the beginning you should be avoiding all sugars (including
fruits and juices) and starchy foods( pasta, breads, rice, beans, potatoes,
corn,etc.), caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.  Fruits are high in natural
sugars and the starchy foods convert to too much glucose for hypoglycemics
to handle. 2 to 4 cups of one or more of these vegetables should be eaten
for lunch & dinner along with protein and some fat:"