Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:52:10 EST

Thanks to everyone who answered.

All responses regarding Natures Path corn flakes assured me that no one
had had any negative response to eating them

low fat, low sugar. Following are a selection of responses:

You may try the Mayo clinic heart diet
don't do this if you cannot afford to loose weight
you will loose weight at a fairly quick rate and feal great because this is a
perfect diet for celiacs
this will lower cholesterol though you will be eating cholesterol
containing ingredients drink lots of water, little or no coffee, tea is ok, NO
Pop

Breakfast
                two eggs fried in butter (I know its hard to believe but
                   it will help)
                two pieces of Bacon
                1/2 Grapefruit
Lunch
                Any meat prepared any fashion (not breaded and fried)
                Any salad with any Dressing (GF duh) No White Onions
                6 oz grapefruit Juice
Dinner
                Any meat prepared any fashion (not breaded and fried)
                Any Vegetable Green or Red (not peas or beans)
                Any salad with any Dressing (GF duh) No White Onions
                6 oz grapefruit Juice
Before Bed Snack (important)
                1 Cup skim Milk or tomato juice

I lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks and my cholesterol went down below 150
every other weekend go off the diet have some hagen das ice cream or
whatever spins your gf wheels

I've been lowcarbing for over a year. I've tried Atkins, Protein Power,
Neanderthin, looked at Sugar Busters,The plan on which I *feel* best
(but not necessarily lose the most weight) is the Zone. It is the same
program as Protein Power on maintenance, you can get most of your carbs
from veggies and fruits. I eat small amounts of corn, rice, GF bread, GF
pasta, and as long as I get enough protein, I feel terrific and have no
low blood sugar cravings, etc. When I'm in the Zone, I can go for about
4 hours between meals, which is what Sears recommends.
Lowcarbing is wonderful for GF people! I don't follow any program
strictly, and any program that prohibits foods I *can* eat (after having
to give up gluten!), is not worth it. The Zone is a very balanced plan,
and I only follow it generally (hate counting!), but it works to balance
your hormones and I think it's great.

re: weight loss:
high protein, low carb
It worked for me.

It's not impossible!  I'm severely allergic to corn, and now rice,
too.  I'm on a "paleolithic" diet (meat, fruit, nuts and seeds, and
some vegetables (no starchy ones)), which is not exactly like "sugar
busters".  But I've lost 7 pounds in the last 3 months.  That's not a
lot, I know, but I'm excited about it--never could lose weight before
I was diagnosed no matter how much I exercised.  Also look at the
"specific carbohydrate diet"--I can't remember their web site, but
it's described in the book "Breaking the Viscious Cycle".

I am currently using Dr. Atkin's low carb diet and it is so compatable
with being GF.  Basically, *no* grains at all.  I have lost about ten pounds
on it, but lots more inches.  My dr. put my 13 year old son on it and he
has lost over 15 pounds (in a month!) and has gone from a size 42 waist to a
size 36.  I was definitely addicted to sugar and refined flours (gf of
course)  And ate so much rice . . . I know that traditional medicine
says that high carb is the way to go, but low carb high protein is working for
us.

Yes - Dr. Barry Sears, The Zone Diet.  I started this myself at the same
time we needed to go gluten free due to our son's diet.  Personally, I have
never felt better in my life, I have great energy and now know what the last
half of the day feels like.  This is great for celiacs, as you limit (or
eliminate some) carbohydrates.  Personally, I'd rather have 2 cup serving of
broccoliand a cup of fresh sweet melon over 1 slice of bread anyday.  I make a
 few bread things for our son, GF pancakes, cookies, and the occasional
bread.  The rest of us hardly ever eat bread or pasta now, and all
benefit. PS - I've lost the easiest 20 pounds ever, and look, feel, great

I was gaining 3-4#'s a month! on the gf diet for the first 13 months
(after the first 3).  The only thing I was doing differently was eating
rice and corn instead of whole grain wheat.  That's when I read Protein Power

(a more complicated read than SugarBusters! which I have also read).  You
might  be able to modify the diet with some corn but low carb is
definitely the way o go in my opinion.  When I quit eating rice and corn
(all bread, crackers and cereal), my weight gain stopped and I am losing
about a pound a month