Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:43:26 -0700

At 09:42 AM 8/23/99 -0500, Chris wrote:

>HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The main reason for avoiding
>carbohydrates is celiac disease, which may occur in 0.5% of the
>population. This is an allergy to gluten, the protein found in wheat
>and other grains. Food allergy is found in fewer that 2% of the
>population although almost 20% claim to have food intolerances.

This celiac estimate changes all the time, Chris. The most recent figures
I've read indicate 1 out of 80 may be celiac. As far as only 2% of the
population having food allergies or intolerances, I've read from
authoritative sources that 10 % are lactose intolerant alone. And I'd guess
even higher if you consider all the people who become lactose intolerant as
they get older. All it takes to become lactose intolerant is to abstain
from milk for a while. If the villi don't make lactase for a period of time
they lose the ability to do so. This ability can often be gotten back if
they are willing to put up with a lot of discomfort for a month or two. -vance