From:
celiacx7 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:55:25 -0400

My original question to the list:

I have horizontal stripes on my nails. Right above the moon, there is a thin pinkish stripe, then above it is a much larger whitish stripe, followed by a thin pinkish strip again, then the typical white top part of the nail. My toenails are even whiter than my fingernails.

Thanks to all who responded- I appreciate your time and help.

The responses were quite a mix.  Some people responded that they have vertical ridges, or horizontal ridges,  or white spots on their nails, which they said was due to either ingesting gluten (the horizontal ridges) or a lack of zinc (the spots).

I have those as well on my nails, but I knew the cause of that and really wanted to know about the horizontal stripes. Here are some of the responses to the horizontal stripe problem:
____________________
Does anyone else have this? What is the cause?
Do you use any nail products......polish remover, polish, etc.?  I was almost loosing my nails.  I was tested for yeast infection, fungal infections, etc.  It turned out that I was allergic  to something in nail products.  I was told to soak my nails in a dilute vinegar solution and to use an anti-inflammatory cream until they cleared up.  I gave up nail products and all is well

I too have the nail thing. The moons have come back into my nails
since going GF, but the lines remain. I would really like to read any
other info. that you might get. Even nail polish does not cover up the
strips. My strips go vertical from the nail bed to the tips of the
nails. Vitamin? I take really good GF vitamins.

You might want to check into this. But a doctor told me that your nails
show when you were sick by the white lines. The whiter the harder it was on
your body. It takes 3wks to show on the nail. You may not have been aware
of it, but your body was.
I have heard from other natural healing sources that say the same. Mine
always have the white here and there, not as much since going GF.

Talk to a dietician. They might be your best source for this particular
problem

 I would ask a Dr. rather than relying on a list like this.  I've heard that nail appearance can be indicative of many conditions and nutritional deficiencies.  I was anaemic all my life until becoming g.f. and had white spots on my fingernails as well as very pale nails.

You sound anemic...

Sometimes those are related to nutrition, especially protein intake. Try
taking 2 Tablespoons of Knox gelatin each day to try to even out the rings.
You can hide it in juice, cereal, fruit, or even in lunch or dinner, because
it has no taste. Just an old fashioned remedy. I have the lines too, and
forget to take my Knox, and when my meat protein intake is low for a day or
two, I'll later see a drop in the ridge lines on my nails.

I have the same thing. I guess I didn't know it was abnormal! I also
have type 1 diabetes and have had a quadruple coronary bypass. Don't
know if that contributes or not. Please summarize if you get any replies
that pinpoint the problem.

I think I remember reading about that a while ago, that it is a nutritional
deficiency. Another good place to look is the Merck Manual. You can look
up fingernail in the back and find citations under it. I have diagnosed a
lot of stuff with that book, then show it to the doctor and he treats it. It is
a standard medical reference.