From:
Tom Valinote ATI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:40:04 +0000

Thank you, for all your responses regarding our 14 month old daughter
with the choice of Tube feeding or Steroids.  I can't possibly sum up
the depth of all your responses in a brief summary but I will try.  Our
daughter was put into the hospital 4 1/2 days ago and was put on Tube
feeding and given anti-nausea medication and medication to help the
pre-digested food get into her system. I'm sorry but I do not know the
names of the medications.  She came home from the hospital yesterday and
is 100 % better today.  We opted to put her into the hospital because
the vomiting was the main issue along with the continued weight loss
after a week of Gluten Free.  She was put on tube feeding and was not
give any steroids.  She did so well she came home in 4 1/2 days and will
not require any more tube feeding.

We received 28 responses and they were all very helpful.  Many of the
to mention that we removed dairy from her diet several months ago.  One
person also recommended removing soy.

The overwhelming response to my inquiry was that she should NOT be put
on Steroids and that one-week off Gluten was not enough time to see a
turn around in her condition.   Most of you recommended being patient
and letting her body repair itself on her own unless it was critical.
Based on this information, we are not sure if the tube feeding helped
her turn this around or she did it on her own.    We do know we had to
do something about the continual vomiting. One of you recommended we
make sure they don't give her any gluten while in the hospital which was
very helpful.  She looks fine now and on the road to recovery. Here are
the results:

5 said to remove all dairy from her diet

7 said do the tube feeding if you have to do something  (the length of
time she'll be on it could be days or weeks)

9 said DO NOT do Steroids (Bad side affects and can cause more harm than
good)

7 said do nothing right now and be patient she'll get better on her own.

Thank You,

Tom
LA