From:
Stacey Wolin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:02:07 -0400

Based on the responses I received, there are celiac resources at the
school and in Ann Arbor. For example,
http://www.housing.umich.edu/dining/allergies lists all of the gluten
free options available in the dining halls. There is a Trader Joe's and
Whole Foods near campus, possible coordination with online mail order
company onedishcuisine.com, and an active online gluten free group
GlutenFreeAnnArbor,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glutenfreeannarbor/?yguid=103376841.

The problem remains that gluten free options in the dining halls are
not gluten free because they are not kept separate and are therefore
prone to cross contamination.
Others agreed that waiting for separate preparation (new gloves,
dedicated
surfaces/utensils, etc) meant that by the time the meal was prepared,
friends were already finished with their meals.  I emailed the school
to suggest a dedicated glutenfree station in each hall. The response
 from the Menu Systems and  Nutrition Information Department was that
while they will meet with students to set up individualized meal plans
to prepare each meal safely, they are not able to set up gluten free
stations for this fall, yet see it as a viable improvement for the near
future. In addition, the school is looking into training and
accreditation from GFCO.org.

I have several customers at several different colleges and it was a

Maureen Burke

I just spoke with the head of residential dining, Mike Lee, at U of M.
He would recommend that you have a meeting with Cathy Whiteside
(734-764-1152) their dietitian who will set up an individualized plan
for Brianna which will address not only gluten free foods, but proper
preparation as well.  He is also going to look in to training and
accreditation from GFCO.org.  From my conversation, it sounds like West
Quad would be the best cafeteria on central campus.