Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:07:55 -0500

Hi everyone,
I just thought I’d share something interesting that happened to me last night
and it makes me wonder for those who live in a household that has both
gluten and non-gluten eating.

Our house has been completely GF for about 4 years now, even our dog has
GF.  My husband invited some friends over, most of whom know about us and
our eating lifestyle and totally respect it. One of his newer friends brought one
of those bake at home pizzas, he really didn’t realize but I was thinking, “oh
man!”  Of couse I didn't say anything, thought it wouldn't be a big deal to
cook it.  But I couldn’t believe how the smell of the uncooked dough filled the
whole entire house.  I headed up stairs and could immediately tell when they
started baking it.  It was an awful and disgusting the smell, it felt like it was
burning my nose.  I tried to just breath in my shirt or blanket, it was pretty
impossible.  I really wished I had opened up the house to air it out, cause
before I knew it, I was getting a bad headache and feeling dizzy.  It was so
crazy.  Never experienced something like it.  I guess we learned not to bake
wheat bread in our house again.  I’m o.k. with those that may bring a wheat
item in, but honestly that rarely happens, usually we’ll provide everything or
they will bring something they know we can all have, we have some great
friends (it’s helped that I’ve helped diagnose some of them and know they are
GF as well) It wasn’t till the middle of the night, when I couldn’t smell it
anymore.

Anyways it made me think of those living in mixed houses.  Are they as
healthy as they possibly can be.  It’s got to be tough keeping things
uncontaminated, plus having to have all different pans, toasters, condiments,
etc.  What I experience was air born without  having any allergies just CD.

Plus it may just make a nice safe haven for the one who has to be gluten-free
(especially those kids of ours).

Denise in Idaho, mother of 2 -entire family CD