From:
John Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Babcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:48:36 -0600

I started down the twisted, celiac-diagnosis trail about a year ago after breaking out with a poison-ivy-like rash.  My PC doc sent me to the dermatologist who said "shingles" and loaded me down with tubes of goo that really did little.  Fortunately, I got on the internet between scratching sessions and discovered that my rash met the description of DH.
I had an appointment with my rheumatologist for Sjogren's Syndrome stuff so I explained all I'd learned about my DH "shingles."  She asked whether I had any gastro symptoms and I said not so much but could she just order the tests anyway.  Bingo!  Two weeks later I'm getting the endoscopy and winning the GF prize.
A few itchy months have passed (didn't want the dapsone) and I've finally convinced 2 of my 3 children to get tested.  They both had positive antibody tests.  Neither of them has gastro symptoms.  Our doctor  just told them to go on the diet.  While misery loves company I'm thinking it might be wise for them to get the endoscopy before going GF.  One hates all things medical but is willing to just go on the diet.  Her older sister is not too concerned and can't see giving up pizza and some other favorites.

I guess my questions are:

What do you tell young adults with no symptoms?

Could I have been wrong to suggest they get tested because they will have to get their own health insurance someday and maybe now that'll be more difficult?

Does anyone care to suggest a good gastroenterologist in the Denver area? (The one who did my endoscopy just kinda gave me the results told me to go gluten-free, and sent me the bill.  There was no follow-up.  I just wasn't that impressed.)

Jeanne

*******
*******