From:
"Simons, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:01:33 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my cereal and milk dilemma.  I got a lot of
A few said they had the same problem, so that was reassuring.  Some said to
try the obvious: either have the cereal without milk,
or the milk without cereal.  The obvious question was asked: was I
absolutely sure the cereal was GF?  I have to answer I don't
know "absolutely."   It did not say "brown rice syrup" or "barley malt" or
any of those no-no's.  And I used to be able to tolerate milk
by itself.  One person suggested I keep a food and symptom diary for a
while, which might bring up something I hadn't even suspected
(Oh boy--more sleuthing!).  One person mentioned that her son seemed to
react to the Barbara's cereals sweetened with fruit juice.
That intrigued me.  But it wasn't Barbara's cereal that I seemed to be
reacting to, although I cannot tolerate processed juice.  I drink
only the ones that say "not from concentrate."

Many folks gave me lots of ideas for alterna-breakfasts:

I love brown rice(made previously andcold in the refrigerator)  heated up
with brown sugar, syrup and milk..  Also I love brown rice
(heated up) with white cheddar cheese over it with a fried egg over easy on
top of that and a piece of toast on the side. I've also had
a baked potato cooked previously, heated up in the microwave with cheddar
cheese and fried egg on top

. . . . .We make blueberry or strawberry pancakes on the weekend . . . After
breakfast on Saturday I wrap all the leftover pancakes and freeze them
individually. During the week I just take one out and microwave it. . . .
The other breakfast I make is rice cereal from already cooked
rice either frozen or refrigerated. I warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a
pan,  add a little honey, sliced apple and heat for a couple of
minutes and then add rice (microwave to warm if frozen) and enough soymilk
to  make it a cereal. I just cook it all for a couple of minutes and eat.

. . . a  slice of gf bread, butter and homemade jam with a glass of juice. .
.make muffins the previous night   Add fruit and nuts before cooking.  . . .
Have one/two slices (homemade bread) with juice.  .  .  Potatoes with fruit
or ham.

I eat nothing but fruit up until noon and I feel great and don't grow tired
of it. . . .Or how about trying some potatoes. I make my own
hashbrowns and fry them in a  little water, they are great too!

. . .Soup heated in the microwave works well. Or leftover stir-fry and rice.

. . .Eggs are a popular quick choice too. If you don't have the two minutes
to cook a fried egg in the morning; you could make a dozen
hard-boiled eggs on the weekend. I eat them with a baked potato in the
microwave, or leftover rice.. . .I eat applesauce and fruit in the
morning when I'm rushed or grits when I'm not. . . .I usually eat yogurt or
hard boiled egg with a piece of fruit.

I sometimes have toasted rice cakes with jelly or peanut butter.  Pop them
in the toaster, but watch carefully.  Someone on the list
mentioned that they can catch fire if left in too long.  The heat
caramelizes the surface and adds considerable taste.  . . .
Sometimes a radical change from your eating habits will bring on relief
because the problem is not what you think it is.

Find a muffin recipe that you like and double or triple the recipe adding
different fruit or nuts to each pan full. Make as many as your oven will
hold at one time. freeze them as soon as they are cold and take them out as
you eat them.  Even if you do not usually bake they are very easy to make.
One vacation I bought cans of rice pudding to eat for breakfast.

You can make some batches of gf pancakes up and freeze them or else keep
them on a covered plate in the fridge. I then nuke them
for about l minute and then put in the toaster oven until a little crispy. I
also make up some gf sausage in my wonderful little indoor grill.
The next morning I just re-heat in the wave for about 20-30 seconds and
viola! pancakes and sausage and maple syrup in minutes.
(of course you do have to do the prep at some point the night before or
several days before). A single batch of the pancakes lasts
3-4 days. The good part of this breakfast is that it is filling and you
aren't hungry about an hour later, as with a lot of gf breakfast selections.

For awhile I was into having rice cakes with toppings (e.g. peanut butter
and jelly) for breakfast. Also, I've found I usually can make time for a
quick-cooking hot cereal, like Arrowhead Mills' Rice and Shine, as long as I
leave the dishes for later. Then there's always fruit, too. . . Recently,
I've been having bologna sandwiches for breakfast.

. . . .I know you said you don't always have time for hot cereal, but have
you tried Rice 'n' Shine?  mix cereal and water, 2 minutes in microwave - my
standby!

When I eat cereal I use applesauce or some other fruit sauce like apricot or
peach (I also prefer unsweetened).  If you use the applesauce, then add a
sprinkle of cinnamon on it and you will think you are having apple pie for
breakfast!  (yummy!)  BTW, the fruit sauces on GF waffles are pretty good
for breakfast too!  Tastes very decadent - but is actually quite healthy.