From:
Holly Martz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:14:57 EDT

I thought everyone should get the chance to read this email I got.  One of
you wrote:

"I checked on a particular medication with the manufacturer, it was
listed as not gluten free as the filler contained wheat starch.
According to this manufacturer the wheat starch used contained 0.01%
gluten. The active ingredient of the tablet was listed as 30mg. The
tablets themselves weighed 76mg, Assuming the whole of the rest was
wheat starch, in this case each tablet would contain 4.6 micrograms (not
mg) of gluten."

While every pill is different, this is encouraging.  Micrograms are 1000x
smaller than milligrams, so it's unlikely that a couple of pills per day
would cause any harm to the intestines if it is true that it takes (0.1g) 100
mg of gluten/day to cause damage to the intestines of a celiac.  Hope this
helps.

Holly Martz