From:
Kelly Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:26:49 +1100

hello firstly, i would like to thank all the people who took the time to
reply to my query, and thank you also for all of the support and encouragement.

from the overwhelming number of responses i received, weight gain is
obviously a real problem.

unfortunately no one had a definitive reason as to why the weight
gain/cellulite occurs, the most popular belief being that prior to
diagnoses of cd, absorption of nutrients is very inadequate, so having
to watch what is eaten or worry about weight gain was not a problem.
once being diagnosed and going onto a gf diet, suddenly our bodies are
absorbing ALL of the nutrients (and calories) being consumed, which can
lead to weight gain. as one person said, "welcome to the 'normal'
world"!!

so to all of those people hoping for a remedy to their problem (which
included me!), it would seem that the solution is to simply reduce
calorie intake. no magical cures, i'm afraid!

i accept this and will reduce my calorie intake, but i still feel that
there could be something missing from our diet which is restricting the
elimination of toxins. it just seems too much of a coincidence that
suddenly so many people are having problems with cellulite, where there
was not a problem prior to diagnoses. i shall do some research and if i
come up with any interesting information, i shall let you all know.

following are excerpts from some of the replies i received:

*i stay the same weight on half the food

*I have found that most recipes and products you buy that are gf have
lots of fat in them.  A lot of recipes call for a lot of butter and
sugar.  If you tend to buy gf products like cookies, crackers, even
bread, check your fat and sugar content and I bet they have a high fat
and sugar content.

*perhaps you are hypothyroid

*Once on the GF diet, our bodies begin to absorb all the intake of food.
So common sense for all, "Weight Gain." I guess that's when you begin to
stop eating all the fatty foods and goodies we never had to worry about.

*Always remember what my doctor told me.  If you are gaining weight,
then you are eating too much

*For me, a high protein diet works the best.  Check out the "Zone" diet.
It works for me even when I cheat a bit now and then.

*   check out Dr. Mirkin's guidelines on diet
   and weight control at....                 www.drmirkin.com
   ALso check out these sights....                  www.scdiet.org

regards, kelly