From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:01:24 -0500

Millet has been one of those grains that there is a wide variety of
thoughts about including it in the gluten-free diet. Most National
Support groups do not restrict millet from the GF diet, because it is
genetically very different from wheat and related grains. The main
concern is cross contamination by bakers and other food processors who
do not adequately clean wheat from their equipment before making millet
products.

If you search the Celiac List archive files or ask members of your local
support group, you will find two major thoughts on millet bread.

1. I get sick every time that I eat it.
2. It is the best product in the world and my favorite bread.

I recently obtained a copy of a qualitative gluten test report performed
by AIB International of Manhattan, KS, sample 1261.

In the sample, it showed positive results, with gluten being greater
than 10 percent. This is well beyond the amount that is considered safe
for any celiac by any of the experts.

The bread sample tested was from the Deland Bakery in Florida.

Last night I checked their Web http://www.planetdeland.com/delandbakery/
site with the intent of filing a complaint through the FDA. They removed
all references to the product being gluten-free. It was there about a
year ago.

If anyone has a reference to the product being gluten-free and you had
problems, please contact your local FDA District Office Consumer
Complaint Coordinator
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html and file a
complaint, if you think it is appropriate. If they desire a copy of the
test report, I will send it directly to the FDA office.

If the problem with this loaf of bread was the result of cross
contamination or missing ingredients is an item of discussion and beyond
my capability to resolve.

I personally have never eaten any bread from Deland Bakery, but those
that do should evaluate the use of the product in their GF diet. I
understand that some people will be extremely upset, but our good health
is my first concern.

-----
Michael Jones mailto:[log in to unmask]
Orlando, FL USA