Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:09:57 -0700

I received many helpful posts in answer to my question.  Several people said that Astro yogurt is definitely gluten free and a very good yogurt.  One person mentioned that it is important to eat fresh yogurt with live culture.  Everyone said that gluten is most likely not the problem.  Several suggested that I might be lactose intolerant as many celiacs are.  I used to be, but thought I was over it.  I am having the test this week to find out.

Thanks again to all who responded.  Very helpful!!

The following are excerpts from posts - each had at least one helpful piece of info.

Jessie in BC

1.  There is an archived article, "Before the Gluten are Gone" or something like
that by Dr. Fine. It might be still available at his site,
<www.enterolab.com>

2.  I just went to a dietician yesterday who recommends Stonyfield and some Greek yogurt (I can't remember the name) both are gluten free.  I usually eat Yoplait which states on it that it is gluten free, the only downside is it has more sugar than Stonyfield. I love the Yoplait.

3.  There are many Yoplait yogurts that are labeled gluten free.

4.  I was eating StoneyFarm plain fat-free yogurt everyday and then realized that it was causing stomach discomfort.  I was suspicious of the inulin that was added to increase the fiber.  Months later I checked it and it no longer had inulin.  I've eaten it since without problems.

In general it seems like the plain yogurts are GF but the ones with flavors may or may not have gluten.

5.  Could be the brand of yogurt? Or a dairy allergy? Have you tried soy yogurt? Stonyfield makes regular and soy that is gluten free and a lot of yoplait yogurts are too!  If you just went gluten free it may be dairy. Often you can eat it again after a break from it for a few months while your gut heals!

6.  I do take the pills when I'm going to eat pizza or other cheesy dishes. Oddly, ice cream doesn't seem to bother me at all. What a pity! ;-) But yogurt, which I love dearly, is just nasty.

7.  This is weird, but I am lactose intolerant, but I can eat Yoplait Yogurt -- the ones that come in all the cool flavors in the tall-ish tapered round containers. They all state "gluten free" right on the containers.

8.  I'm not sure if anyone wrote to you about Coconut Milk yogurt.  There is a brand - So delicious - they also have ice cream.  They also make soy yogurt.  Check it out at Whole Foods.  Some of the ice creams I've even seen at Krogers.  Not all ice cream flavors are gluten free.

9.  I'm not sure what brands are available in Canada, but we have several in the U.S. that are labeled gluten-free: Brown Cow, Stoneyfield Farms, Mountain High, and Nancy's. I find them in the organic food section.

10.  BE WARNED...many of us get gf like symptoms from soy.   soy and wheat are among the five most allergenic foods

11.  Almond yogurt is also possible, from unpasteurized (nonCalifornia) soaked almonds.  Have you seen the other side of the soy debate?  http://westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

12.  So Delicious Coconut Mil Yogurt is far better in my opinion. They
also make an ice cream (Luna & Larry's) that is fantastic! I buy
these @ Whole Foods.

13.  Any food with "natural flavorings" could contain gluten, as legally in
the US barley can hide in "natural ingredients". Dannon states they
cannot call any flavored yogurt GF.

14.  I am lactose intolerant and yet I can eat yogurt still, as long as it is well-cultured yogurt.  (By well-cultured, I mean full of beneficial bacteria).

15.  For what my two cents is worth, I will say that Yoplait has told me their yogurt is GF but Dannon says theirs is not.  Both sets of ingredients look pretty similar and there is nothing on the Dannon packaging to indicate any gluten.

16.  I am not sure where in BC you are - however if you are in the Vancouver Chapter and on the members yahoo list you will find that Dairyland/Saputo foods just declared that barley gluten is in their yogurts.  It is not the brand mentioned however it is possible as it took me completely by surprise.  The Dairyland/Saputo claim has been reported to Health Canada and I am getting proof that it is not on their labels.  Feel free to report your yogurt to Health Canada yourself - you can get the number off the website - it is a free call and they will refer you to the BC office (that is what they did with me).
 17.  Whole Soy & Co is very good.