From:
Amy De Ruyscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:31:12 -0400

Here is a summary of responses to my question about a lighter bread, and
possible bread machine recipes. On a personal note, I did try a recipe that
was supposed to be made in the oven, and wound up putting it in the
breadmaker because it was soooo sticky that I couldn't handle it! It came
out maybe a little smaller than I would have expected, but very much like
Bette Hagman's bread. Similar in texture, with maybe a little better taste.
It also toasted better. But I am still going to try some of the recipes
below, hoping for something light and airy! (I can dream, can't I?)

Amy D.
Maine

*******

I've had similar results with Bette's bread machine recipes - heavy stuff.
I do have great success with her French bread (by hand) and my partner
suggests I try the same recipe in the machine for sandwiches.

****

I have found the "Favorite sandwich bread" mix from the Gluten Free Pantry
makes the best bread. I have also discovered that making bread on the
"normal" setting (with 2 risings) makes any bread better, rather than only
doing one rising as is usually suggested.

I think you could put any recipe in a bread machine, just put the wet
ingredients and dry as directed by the mfr. Also, everything should be at
room temperature.

****

I have found that using muffin top pans works better for me than cooking the
bread in the machine.  They are pans with large shallow indentations and make
"rolls" that can be split and used for sandwiches, toast, hamburger buns,
etc.  They always cook through and rise and cook more quickly, and are much
"lighter" than any loaf bread I was able to come up with.  I have used this
technique for lots of different bread recipes.

I use a mixer, but you could probably use the bread machine as a "mixer" just
as well.

If you do this, use a spoon dipped in water to spread the batter into the
cups.

****

Bread machines recipes are unique.  It is easy to go from a bread machine
to an oven receipe but the other way around is very hard.

Instead of a recipe, why not call Red Star Yeast (800 4-celiac)?  They are
excellent with our breads and can walk you through a couple different recipes
that they created for us.

****

It is really tough to get close to the real thing.  I have tried so many
bread recipes, most which have been written off.  I prefer to use my
breadmaker simply because of a hectic busy schedule and no time to fiddle
with mixing by hand.  The following recipe is what I would consider the best
out of the dozen or more that I have tried.  I also have about 4 more
recipes given to me that I have not tried yet, but don't know how well they
will do until I have made them.

Here is the recipe that I find works best, so far:
Bread Machine Master Mix:
3 C Brown Rice Flour
3 C White Rice Flour
2 C Potato Starch Flour
1 1/2C Tapioca Flour
1 C White Sugar
2 C Dry Milk Powder (not the instant granuals)
1/3 C Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 Tbsp Salt

Mix ingredients together and store in fridge.  This is enough for 6 one
pound loaves of bread.  Use a scant 2 1/2 Cups of mix to make 1 loaf.  The
last loaf may be about 1/3 Cup short.  If so, just add enough rice flour to
make 2 1/2 Cups.

Bread Machine Recipe
2 1/2 Cups Flour Mix (scant)
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Cup water, minus 2 Tbsp
1 tsp Rice Vinegar
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp minus 1/2 tsp Quick Rising Yeast

Place flour mix in a large bowl
Measure liquid ingredients into a 2 cup measure
Beat eggs and add to liquid ingredients.  Mix well.
Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture gradually and beat well
Add yeast and mix well
Place dough into bread machine pot and bake on the rapid cycle.
Remove from machine when cycle is complete.

Hope this helps!  I sometimes add sesame seeds or sunflower seeds to the dry
ingredients when making the bread for a little bit of variety.
I also have some other recipes, but I have not tested them yet, so I cannot
verify how good or bad they might be :-)

Take Care,
Susan in Calgary

*****

Regarding non-bread machine recipes, could you mix the wet ingredients and
the dry ingredients then put them in the machine and see how it comes out?

****

This recipe came on the list many months ago. I have changed it a
little and find it the best yet. I always toast it a little when I take it
out of the freezer. {I slice it when absolutely cold, wrap it individually
in baggies and freeze on a flat sheet.}
        1 1/4 cups white or brown rice flour
        2/3 cup Potato starch flour
        1/3 cup Tapioca flour
        1/4 cup soy flour
        1/4 cup rice polish
        2/3 cup non-fat instant dry milk powder
        1 tsp. salt
        1 pkt. or 3 tbs. yeast
        1 tsp. vinegar
        2 egg whites--I use the dehydrated.
        1 egg
        1 tsp. geletin
        4 tsp. xanthan gum
        1/4 cup shortening
        1 1/3 cup apple juice

        I mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, Mix all the wet
ingredients and mix well, add shortening {melted}. I put the wet
ingredients in the bread machine, add the dry and let her go. After a bit
I scrape down the sides. I remove the beater with tongs before the final
rise, makes a finer grain and no big hole in the bottom.
        Now I make up the dry ingredients for four loaves at a time and
measure equal amounts into four plastic bags. It's about 3 1/4 cups for
each bag. I keep the extras in the freezer.
        This makes a good sandwich if sliced thin. The loaf does not slice
well when warm, but does thin slices perfectly when thoroughly cold.

        Hope you like this one.
                        Janet Easton

****

I use a white bread recipe that I really like.  When I buy GF flour I
usually by the packages of Bob's Red Mill flour.  On the back of the potato
starch package, they have a recipe for Bob's Favorite White Bread.  While
it is still heavy, it is no where near as heavy as the stuff from the
Hagman cookbook.  I have eaten plain, as a hamburger bun, with soup, and
with pasta, and it tasted create every time.

****

I found this recipe in the archives and I use it all the time.  I double
it because I want a 2 pound loaf.

I haven't really tried anything else. I've only been doing this for 4
months.

1 C milk (microwaved for 1 minute)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vinegar
2 C gluten free flour mix
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

It's fairly soft but you have to keep it in the refrigerator or it starts
tasting funny after a couple of days.

Nancy Ann Denhalter

****

Unless you have a specialized machine, you will probably have trouble making
bread in a machine.  Gluten free bread needs to rise only once, and most
machines cannot be adjusted to rise only once.  Diane

*****

My favorite breads are Linda Blanchard's "Best Bread Ever", made with
ground almonds and various flours.  It should be in your bread summaries.
 It's as close to wonder bread than any I have seen.
We also like Mike Jones sourdough bread made with white rice, brown rice
and soy flours.  It's a bit heavier but very tasty.  That should also be
in the archives.