From:
Liesa Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liesa Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:47:19 -0400

I was recently up in Boothbay Harbor, Maine for a friend's wedding. I'd found information about one innn/restaurant there, The Thistle Inn, that could accomodate the gluten-free diet, but they were already booked. I also wasn't initially sure which night I'd be arriving and hadn't booked a hotel at all for the first night of the weekend. (The next two nights were decided for me based on where my friend's wedding took place.)

We arrived in town around 9:00 PM and tried one bed and breakfast, but the prices were a bit steep. The innkeeper recommended Howard House as more affordable, which it was, and when we got to the front desk I asked about gluten-free breakfast. Since it was such late notice at that hour the night before, I wasn't looking for anything special, just wondering if they could make plain eggs, fruit, etc. But the innkeeper there was lovely and offered to make me gluten-free blueberry muffins from scratch (she had ingredients handy since she's had other guests who needed gluten-free meals). The next morning, I had muffins (she even gave me the rest of the batch to bring with me when I left) as well as fruit and yogurt and the delicious egg/cheese/tomato sauce breakfast entree which was served to everyone, and which she told me she made sure to prepare with ingredients that would allow me to enjoy it as well. Apparently she's also had guests who can't have dairy and can accomodate that as well.

I noticed this inn isn't listed on the gluten free inn site, so I just wanted to make sure anyone traveling to BoothBay Harbor knows about Howard House--they also have many more rooms than most bed and breakfasts, and again are more affordable, so when you factor that in to the extensive and tasty safe breakfast (which she prepared on incredibly short notice!) it's definitely a place to keep in mind.

No financial interest, just sharing the info.