Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 22:26:35 -0400

Could my daughter have DH?

My husband and son tested negative to the gluten antibody tests but are
clearly both gluten intolerant.  Both have benefited greatly from the GF diet
and have reactions when contaminated - my son's reactions are now quite
frightening.

My question is:  my four-year-old daughter has very dry skin, with small
itchy bumps.  During the summer this is not much of a problem, but every
winter the bumps are much worse, and much itchier, especially on her thighs
and wrists.  She scratches them until they bleed, leaving huge red welts all
over her skin.

I'm thinking food-allergy-related eczema is to blame, since she wears only
cotton and fabric softener is not the culprit either.  But could this be a
form of DH?  If so, why would it worsen in wintertime?  Does anyone have any
experience with this?

Would it be worthwhile to do the antibody tests on her?  Is there another
test for DH?  I'm not wild about telling her she's got to go on the diet
unless I have a valid reason.

Thanks!  Karyn