From:
Jen & Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen & Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 16:57:48 -0500

I received some additional information after posting my brandy summary stating all brandy is gluten free; read on:
. Flavored Brandy and Flavored Cognac may contain Hydrolyzed Wheat
protein in artificial colors and flavors.

Alcohol manufacturers in Europe and North America are not required by law to
list their ingredients.  French Brandies and Cognacs are required to meet
certain Appellation standards that require no artificial colors or flavors;
however, in the case of Flavored Brandy and Flavored Cognac, once the spirit
has left the original production factory the legal obligation required is
not longer in effect.  What this means is that bottlers may purchase brandy
or cognac and add artificial colors and flavors that may contain gluten.
With this mind, it is best to avoid Flavored Brandies and Cognacs unless you
can verify the source of any additives directly with the manufacturer.
Generally speaking, un-flavored Brandy and Cognac is gluten-free.
What you were told is correct for plain brandy--it should definitely not
be a problem, since it is made from grapes or other fruit (e.g., slivovitz is distilled brandy made
from plums). No grain anywhere there. However, I note that E&J (a branch of Gallo, the country's
largest wine producer, most of them bad--my opinion) sell several _flavored_ brandies called "Cask
& Cream". It is entirely possible that the flavorings used in this line are not gf. If these are
the brandies your friend has been drinking, I'd suggest she contact the company and ask
specifically about the ingredients in that product line. (Editorial comment, take it for what you
will--I found at least one apparently knowledgable review on the internet that suggested that E&J
is, like much other Gallo product, the worst on the market, in line with its extremely low price.