Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:42:52 -0700

I received a large response and most (approx 20) recommended "McCann's"
Irish oatmeal. It's produced in dedicated field and on dedicated lines,
though the company will not certify that it's GF because there is a
possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley In
the supply chain between farm and mill, but they feel that the level of
non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%.  (See FAQ at www.mccanns.ie) Only one
person, out of all the replies, said they had a reaction.  Someone else
commented that what might seem like a Celiac reaction could be attributed
to the initial increased fiber content in the diet.

A couple of people said they used "Bob's Red Mill" and "Old Wessex Ltd"
Irish oatmeal with no reaction. These brands also are not certified GF. (I
have used the Old Wessex, myself, with no reaction.)

Yet another person said they use Quaker, however, personally I don't recall
that they have dedicated fields or lines.

Another reply said that a young man in Wyoming is growing and processing
oats in a dedicated environment.  His oats can be purchesed for
approximately $7.50 a lb.  His contact info follows:

Forrest Smith
578 Lane 9
Powell, WY 82435
307-754-2058  (can also ask for Jill or Seaton)

What surprised me most of all was that out of all the replies (maybe 27
altogether), no matter what brand was recommended, all but one person said
they had NO REACTION!  This makes me smile : )) and feel more confident
when I head out to purchase some of McCann's  Irish oatmeal tomorrow!

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply to my question!

Nina : )
Diagnosed 1996

Nina Spitzer
Celiac Support of Greater Phoenix