From:
Betsy Mackin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Mackin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:30:44 -0500

Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you for all the responses to my questions regarding
the DH diagnosis for my daughter, which i disagree with.(I disagree with
the doctor who diagnosed her)
I dont have a whole lot to summarize, but here is the jist of the e-mails.
Some people were diagnosed by biopsy for DH, others had a negative biospy
but were told they did have it. 99% of responses came from confirmed
Celiac's. About 70% who use or used Dapsone had no adverse affects, (these
can include anemia and liver disorders). The other 30% reported reactions
to the Dapsone so they stopped taking it. I learned that Dapsone only treats
the intense itching. It does NOT aleviate the actual DH reaction that is
taking place. Alot of people mentioned Iodine as a source of the DH
reaction. I found that very interesting. Most people who eliminated Iodine
had either no more outbreaks or much fewer outbreaks. Also 2 people
mentioned milk as a source of outbreaks. We do not eat sea food or much
else that contains Iodine. But it is good information. The bottom line for
us is that i am taking her for a 2nd opinion to a dermatologist in NYC.
My feeling is that being Celiac puts "us" in a much greater risk catagory
for any other auto immune diseases, even of the skin, so DH is not the ONLY
thing it could be.
Thanks again everyone, if i find new info from this new dermatologist i will
pass it along in a post.

Betsy :)