From:
"J. Kemp Randolph" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Kemp Randolph
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:08:57 -0500

I received 3 responses: all said that it was easy to make GF crabcakes.

>>I  have made crab cakes often.  Very easy.  Just sub some gf bread crumbs
from any type of GF bread.
Last time I didn't use a recipe--just crab,  minced red pepper, eggs,
mayo, spice (used Old Bay this time), and a few TBS of GF bread crumbs.
I can't remember exact amounts but I think it was 2 cans of crab, 2 eggs
and just enough mayo to help hold it together....<<

>>Most everyone has "Joy of Cooking" cookbook at home.  Just follow the recipe
for crab cakes, substituting gluten free bread crumbs (which can be made
easily by leaving out your bread overnight and crumbling or even a fresh
loaf sliced and toasted).  The only other change I had to make was adding
almost no milk product (in my case I use either soy or almond).  If you feel
it's not moist enough, add more egg, not milk.  Follow the other directions
to the letter and you can't go wrong.  ... Big tips:  make sure you
refrigerate the mixture before you form them into patties for the
recommended time (2 hrs) and fry them in a good amount of olive oil brought
up to temperature before you place the patties in - you want to hear that
oil sizzle when you first place them in, this helps hold them together.  Use
fresh wild lump crab meat already cleaned and drained, comes in a container
in your fish section of the grocery store. ... For those who do not have Joy
of Cooking cookbook let me know and I could post to the list if enough people
asked. ...<<
			Kemp