From:
Robert Nienkemper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:29:26 -0400

        "Are there other diseases related to celiac disease?
Among celiacs and their relatives, there appears to be a higher incidence
of other disorders related to the immune system. A partial listing of these
includes insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (type I), Graves' disease,
Addison's disease, scleroderma, chronic active hepatitis, myasthenia
gravis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and Sjogren's syndrome."

        This statement was posted in the FAQ article by the celiac
listserve.  I have one daughter who was diagnosed with celiac 15 years ago.
Now I have another daughter who has just been diagnosed with the
Parry-Romberg Syndrome, a localized form of scleroderma.  My question is, is
there anyone else who has celiac or celiac in the family where there is a
case of scleroderma or the Parry-Romberg Syndrome?  We are trying to learn
everything we can about this syndrome and about what effects it has on the
person and the family. Does the gluten-free diet help those who have a form
of scleroderma? Any information would be helpful.
        Mary Ann Nienkemper
        Springfield, VA