From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 14:16:32 -0800

Hello to all who live with non-celiacs:

I don't cook as many faux-wheat dishes as some celiacs, so my husband and I
have come to an arrangement where he satisfies his pizza, lasagne, mousse,
danish, and sub sandwich cravings by eating lunch out on his own a couple
of times a week.  When he learned that I was RELIEVED to have him go out on
his own (most cheap restaurant menus are a pain) he started enjoying his
cosmopolitan outings with no guilt. He has learned to keep microwaveable
lunch food on hand as well.

I try to involve my spouse in dinner planning, even though he isn't often
helpful with dinner cooking.  He does most of the supermarket shopping and
I do the various health food store runs.  That way he gets his microwave
treats and meals, favorite bread, sweet rolls, etc.  My shopping involves
planned trips to one store for certain GF and LF things and to other stores
for other favorite items.

My latest request that he do the dishes has been taken seriously.  I
explained how, since I must usually cook from scratch in order to be my
best, that I need help, and the best way to help is to keep my workspace
and tools clean and ready.  Since there are SO many pots and pans and such
being used, I do my best to rinse everything off before it hardens.

Cooking for the masses:
Yesterday I had to figure out a CHEAP way to serve cookies to a bunch of
Wheat-eaters without exposing myself and the kitchen to wheat flour.  For
three bucks, I got the large Pillsbury tube of choc chip cookie dough and
spread it all out on a 10 x 15 ungreased cookie sheet and baked for 12
minutes at 350F. Voila! Giant Cookie to cut into squares (after well
cooled). No flour mess. Easy clean up. Great reviews. Whew!

Best to all,
Mary