From:
deni weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
deni weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:38:43 -0500

My thanks to all those who responded to my question.  Some people
were adamant that propylene glycol is antifreeze and pretty much
abhorred it's use as a food ingredient.  Others stated that ethylene
glycol not propylene glycol is used in antifreeze.  One respondent
suggested a google search which I had done, but not thoroughly.  Upon
further searching, I found this information.  I guess we each make
our own choices about what to put in out bodies.

deni  weber
IN, USA

from:  http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts96.html

What are ethylene glycol and propylene glycol?

Both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are clear, colorless,
slightly syrupy liquids at room temperature. Either compound may
exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be
heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Ethylene glycol is
odorless but has a sweet taste. Propylene glycol is practically
odorless and tasteless.

Both compounds are used to make antifreeze and de-icing solutions for
cars, airplanes, and boats; to make polyester compounds; and as
solvents in the paint and plastics industries. Ethylene glycol is
also an ingredient in photographic developing solutions, hydraulic
brake fluids and in inks used in stamp pads, ballpoint pens, and
print shops.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene
glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use
in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in
certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for
food colors and flavors.

Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used
in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.
--
Confidentiality Notice: Please remember that email cannot be
guaranteed a secure medium for transmission of confidential