Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:10:21 +0100

Dear All,

A lot of you asked that I publish the UK Coeliac Society's response
to my question about the above wheat starch, in the light of
comments on this list about its unsuitability for coeliacs. So here it
is -

> It is technically impossible to remove all traces of protein from
> wheat starch but the Society considers that that the specially
> manufactured wheat starch which complies with the Codex Standard and
> is used in products such as Glutafin High Fibre Bread Mix can be
> safely included in the gluten-free diet.
>
> At the last meeting of Codex, the committee charged with developing
> the Universal Standard for gluten-free food, many countries were still
> in disagreement over what the gluten-free standard should be and
> therefore reaching an international consensus was very difficult.
>
> The adoption of a universal level is still continuing.  In the UK, we
> support a level of 200ppm but some countries support a level of 20ppm
> or even a zero level.  However, Professor Martin Stern, head of the
> Prolamin Working Group, states that current technology cannot support
> a level as low as 20ppm and if a standard is set that can't be tested
> it would never be possible to know if the standard had been met.
>
> There is scientific evidence available, that apart from
> ultra-sensitive people, 200ppm gluten is safe.
>
> At present, the discussion continues and individual countries set
> their own standard.  Here in the UK, the Coeliac Society accepts that
> the majority of Coeliacs can safely tolerate 200ppm.
>
> I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

So I suppose it clarifies it to the extent that it's clarifiable at all.
But further to Don Wiss's comment that the manufacturers of this wheat
starch are part-funders of the Coeliac Society - I've asked them to
comment on that as well. If it turns out to be the case, then I suppose
one has to regard their response with some wariness. Or am I just a cynic?

And finally, David Walland's reply to my original post simply goes
to confirm what I already suspected - that there is no such thing as
scientific certainty in the matter.  And that in the end you're left
with having to suck it and see. And if it gives you a problem - give it
the elbow, as they say.

Jeff in London, UK