From:
Amber L Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:31:11 EST

I had some interesting responses to my post and additional information
to share.  The post said in part:

>I called the Hidden Valley Foods Company yesterday (11/16/99). I was
>told that KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce and Hidden Valley Ranch are no
>longer gluten-free (they used to be).  Please call Hidden Valley Foods
>Company at 1-800-537-2823 if you have been a consumer of Hidden
>Valley Ranch Dressing or KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce in the past.

selected quotes:
-----

-----

>Do you know of any gluten free dressing - Hidden Valley Ranch is the
>only one I use but I have been having a lot of reactions lately.  Didn't
>think of that since I thought it was gluten free.

The following companies make gf ranch and other gf salad dressings:
Best Foods (1-800-338-8831)
Wishbone by the Lipton Co. (1-800-697-7897)
Lighthouse (1-208-263-7569)
-----

>If you try Lea and Perrins barbecue sauce you will probably never use
>any other kind.  It is absolutely wonderful.  The main thing I lilke about
>Lea and Perrins barbecue sauce is that it is extremely flavorful but not
>strong enough to mask the flavors of foods it is used with.  It is very
>subtle but very delicious.

I have not tried Lea & Perrins (1-800-987-4674) BBQ sauce yet, but I
will.

I do not know of any other prepared BBQ sauces that are GF.

I know that Kraft (1-800-323-0768) BBQ and Salad Dressings are NOT GF.
-----

>Amber, If KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce is not GF, then the Frito Lay chips
>with KC Masterpiece would then no longer be gf?!  What a tangled web.

I like Lays Brand KC Masterpiece BBQ Potato Chips.  I called Frito-Lay
(1-800-662-4726) today (11/18/99).  The service rep checked with their
nutritionist who said that the change in the bottled sauce formula does
not change the GF status of the seasoning that they use on their chips.
The cust. service rep said they have also recently updated their GF list.
I don't know if there are any changes from the old list.  Mine is in the
mail.

This might be a good time to call Frito-Lay and get a copy of their new
list.
-----

Amber Lee