Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:17:08 -0600

I have been a celiac for about 15 years and doing well.  A year ago I
began having a lot of air in the esophagus and doing a considerable
amount of belching.  The problem has become much worse the last few
months.  I had two tests were performed to see how my esophagus was
functioning and it was discovered that the function is not as it should
be--thus the air that enters the body through the mouth is not forced
down into the stomach as it should be, stays in the esophagus and builds
up in my throat until eventually I burp and the lump disappears for a
second and then the sequence begins again.  I constantly have the lump
which is very uncomfortable.  I am taking Elavil to prevent spasms of the
esophagus and have been given some other medication to try and break
up the air bubbles.  Would be interested in knowing whether anyone
else experiences this problem and has a solution.  I am also fructose
intolerant--no sugar at all, no fruits, and a lot of vegetables have
now been eliminated from the diet.  Anyone else fructose intolerant?
That aren't many of us around!!

Linda Jones                     Tele: (608) 363-2483
Robert H. Morse Library         FAX:  (608) 363-2487
Beloit College                  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
731 College Street
Beloit, WI   53511