From:
Elizabeth Polhemus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 05:06:34 -0400

Hi List, Have been wondering if anyone experiences these symptoms from
ingestion of miniscule amounts of possible gluten or other ingested
items.  I display both D.H. and traditional celiac symptoms.  I am very
careful with my diet but occasionally think I may ingest gluten in
vinegarette salad dressings or even table salt.  I get a spreading
raised rash that is reddened in the same places each time,  although not
always as severe.  It itches unbearably,  but does not always form
vesicles (like D.H.).  The skin feels like it is warm to on fire.  It
generally occurs on my buttocks,  thighs, arms, underarms, ribcage and
back.  I use a soft back brush to scratch it and the more I scratch it,
the more it widens.  If I can get to sleep (using ice,  cool shower,
tylenol, or Benedryl) I wake up with a calmer version.  If I eat the
same few items I usually do I am o.k., but one different or new item
(that I am nearly positive is gluten-free) and the cycle begins.  I have
not been using Dapsone for several months now, because I used it off and
on for a year and the doctor wanted me to stop for awhile to give my
liver a rest.

     Has anyone had these symptoms?  How do you get by with no dapsone?
Could it be a symptom of something else?  Does stopping Dapsone cause the
body to become overactive in the immune system?  I am miserable and I live
in the hottest state in the Union!  Any advice or info would be welcomed.
Will summarize in a timely fashion...   Elizabeth Polhemus in Phoenix