From:
Joan Nurczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:02:04 EDT

Thank you to everyone who responded.  The responses are somewhat conflicting
but the consensus seems to be to avoid Avon.  Avon replied to an email saying
that they don't know the gluten-free status of the ingredients in their
cosmetics.  That's enough for me to throw it out.  I went to Whole Foods and
was shown three different brands of gluten-free lipstick and other cosmetics.
 The manufacturers are Doctor Hauschka's, Lavera, and Hemp Organics.

<<We attended the Winston-Salem Celiac Conference last weekend  and
heard an excellent talk by Steve Plogsted, a Phd Pharmacist and a hand
out on drugs etc. Go to his free website: www.Glutenfreedrugs.com In his
handout under a list of G.F. lipsticks it said that Avon products are
all G.F. as of last summer.  You may want to check with the company
again to be sure that they have not changed.  Nancy>>

<<Switch to Neutrogena lipstick. It is GF. Myrna in MA.>>

<<I know before I was diagnosed I usedAvon lipstick. I would often get
little bumps on my lips. Since being diagnosed I have been very careful
to use only lipsticks I can read all the ingredients for. I currently
use a neutrogena produt, but I've heard it's being discontinued.  I
recently contacted Avon (head office) & was told that their lipsticks
are NOT gluten free.  Helen>>

<<You know, you can just stop wearing lipstick for a while. I am sure others
have noted this.  I am sure you will be just as beautiful without it.  I have
had the same problem with lipsticks, especially being allergic to various red
dyes and all the crap they add to them.  I feel much better not wearing any.=

I have enough problem with chapsticks since I cannot tolerate small amounts
of soy or corn or the gluten in the vitamin E.  I sometimes use just
something pure and not petrolium based.  a |a |a |Saskia>>

<<I'm so sorry for your troubles. I'm having better luck than you but do
get frustrated with being symptomatic, and often. I think what I've come
to is, if it's in doubt, throw it out. There are other lipsticks.  Deb>>

<<I have checked with an Avon Representative...and she said that NONE of
their lipsticks, chapsticks, etc are gluten free.  (I believe they
contain hydrolyzed vegetable oil....not sure if that's the same as the
"hydrolyzed vegetable protein" we need to stay away from - but it's
close enough for me!)  I returned all my lipsticks for a refund from the
Avon rep. Hope that helps!  Kristin>>

<<I have just moved to Wheaton, IL from Groton, CT and was happy to find a
gluten free lipstick at Whole Foods Market, having used none at all since I
was diagnosed nearly two years ago.  There is a special section there where
the manager is unusually thorough and will lead you to the lipstick, the name
of which I don't remember.  She and I checked the ingredients carefully,
though, and I feel confident it is all right, if more costly than most.
Betty>>

<<I contacted Avon about 2 years ago, and got no help from them as to the
gluten-free status.  They just said their products were "pure" and made from
approved ingredients.  Their glosses made me sick too.  Please do try
eliminating it and see if it helps.  Joan>>

<<Hello. No it does not seem a redundant question. There is never enough
attention paid to cosmetics in my opinion. I want to share something
that might help to bring you back to feeling well again. I was sick for
several years as well. I mean terribly ill. UNTIL, I stopped wearing ALL
cosmetics.  Today I use Softsoap liquid soap (the clear bottle) that
Colgate Palmolive puts out, in the shower, in my hair (that's all), and
it goes in my pocketbook to use when I'm at work or anywhere needing to
wash up. The stuff IS gluten-free. It just is. (the company verifies it
also per company etterhead)  Andrea>>

"A true friend knows your weakneses but shows you your stengths; feels your
fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit;
recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities."