Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 10:32:51 -0700

Dear Listmates,
     Next week (5-21-03) I am undergoing gum grafting surgery. I obtained all the medications that I will have to have and called the various companies regarding the gluten-free status. I am giving you my findings in the event you may have to have these medications as well.

Medications: 1.Benzocaine 20% Pina Colada flavor (a topical anesthetic prior to deadening shot) by the Sultan Pharmaceutical Co. 1-800-238-6739. The Pina Colada flavor is Gluten-Free. They are cautious about the other flavors as the alcohols used in the other flavors may be grain based,but it is distilled.

2.Lidocaine HCL 2% with Epinephrine 1:50,000 is Gluten-Free made by the Novocol Company (a Canadian Comp). USA Customer service 1-800-872-8305. This is the number I called since I'm in the USA. The Canadian Customer Service is 1-800-647-0643. The woman I spoke with said all their dental anesthetics are Gluten-Free.

3.Keflex 250mg tabs. Gluten-Free. I spoke to a representative from The Lilly Co. for the name brand version 1-800-545-5979 and it is Gluten-Free. The generic brand at my drug store is made by Teva Co. at 1-800-545-8800 and they said it is gluten-free. The starch for the generic is potato starch.

4.Aleve  naproxen sodium tablets 220mg by Bayer at 1-800-395-0689. The representative state Aleve has no added gluten, but added a disclaimer that they cannot guarantee cross-contamination issues.

5. Peridex 16oz. oral rinse. I spoke to John Guiltari at Zila Pharmaceutical 1-877-862-3027. Right now he is unable to adequately confirm the gluten-free status. He said he is waiting to hear from the chemist to determine the source of the glycerin as it can be synthetic or grain based. He said the glycerin is from an outside source and he is requesting clarification on the source . He will hopefully get back to me with some results prior to my surgery.

The only problem seems to be the Peridex which I think is important to have regarding my surgery. Does anyone know of a gluten-free substitute for Peridex? This used to be owned by Proctor and Gamble but they sold it to the Zila Company.

Thanks for any input and I hope this was helpful!
Jane in Southern California