From:
Blau Zahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:57:39 -0600

After a string of mild to medium ingestions of gluten (or maybe that
didn't have anything to do with it), I find myself reacting to
*everything* (maybe that candy was coated with wheat? zap!) . I've
been eating only things cooked from raw ingredients (rice, home-ground
spices, beans, eggs, etc.).

But this gets boring, so I'd really like to find some form of junk
food and basic flours/etc. that I can trust! Also, I'll be traveling
soon, so I really need a safe source of rice flour!

Is contamination in flours really that pervasive, or could it be
something else? (Maybe the condiments?)

If you know the GF status of one of the below items, or something
similar, could you please tell me? Otherwise, I guess I will be making
lots of phone calls shortly... (Unless otherwise noted, all of the
below _seem_ to be GF based on the ingredient lists...)

Flours I've been using:

Bob's Red Mill White Rice flour (no phone # on packaging)
Bob's Red Mill cornmeal  (they have other flours too, but beginning to wonder
 about GF-ness)
rice flour from Devon St. (Chicago) (Little India, stuff in bulk)
Aunt Jemima(sp) cornmeal
Quaker cormeal

Other ingredients: (turns out many of these have no phone # on package...)

Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine
Clabber Girl Baking Powder
Holly's sugar (?)
oil (?)
Caseienate Free Better-Than-Milk? (chocolate) [contains modified food
 starch and other odd things, one of the first things I stopped using;
 are any of the commercially availible soy/nut/rice milks GF? ]
Westsoy (soy milk)
Hershey's Coca
St. Dalfour fruit spreads
Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter (Chunky)
        (do peanut butters/jellies tend to be GF?)

Got any recomendations?
Junk food requirements: no milk products, sugar good :>

If you know the brand of a safe rice flour availible in stores in
Ithaca, could you tell me?

Thanks to any help! And sorry that this is so long!

Als